Grading: The Groundwork for Lasting Value
In basic terms, grading is a combination of two processes:
Cutting - Removing soil from areas where it interferes with the design goals.
Filling - Placing soil in locations specified in the design.
The Complexities of Landscape Modification
From the perspective of a seasoned professional, however, there's a lot more to site grading than simply moving dirt around. The countless topographical, geophysical, and regulatory challenges involved in changing a ground surface can make this stage of site preparation a highly complicated and risky business.
Working with Soil: Getting Down to the Nitty-Gritty
The performance and lifespan of roads, driveways, patios, and other paved structures ultimately depend on the stability of the underlying ground. If potential soil issues are overlooked, the costly consequences of erosion, premature settling, and other dangerous ground changes could ultimately sink your entire pavement system. Fail-safe protection against these devastating risks requires a depth and breadth of specialized knowledge that only an industry-leading grading contractor like Poole Paving can provide. The expertise of our grading crew covers the gamut of technical disciplines needed to optimize the value of every step of this crucial preconstruction process:
- Evaluation of soil, including composition, fertility, stability, and texture, as well as the impact of previous grading on current conditions
- Analysis of project scope, equipment needs, and recycling opportunities, including reuse of topsoil and existing structures
- Compaction of soil base (subgrade) that will support the paved structure
- Assessment of subbase requirements (the thickness, composition, and strength of the layer between the soil base and a load-bearing pavement surface needs optimize weight distribution)
- Calculation of subgrade elevation
- Consideration of potential effects of weather on soil conditions
Managing Water: Keeping the Most Dangerous Element Under Control
Comprehensive, environmentally responsible water management is a top priority at Poole Paving. You can rely on our exhaustive site preparation process to ensure every potential water issue from ponding, silt-runoff, and flooding to regulatory requirements is quickly uncovered and effectively addressed. Our company's track record of success in a full range of challenging environments testifies to our extensive expertise in every aspect of water control:
- State-of-the-art drainage system design
- Industry-standard erosion prevention practices
- Rigorous compliance with North Carolina's stormwater control, groundwater contamination, and wetlands protection laws
Regardless of the scope of your project or the size of your budget, we guarantee a cost-efficient, sustainable grading solution that incorporates the best of all possible water management strategies from the simplest to the most advanced.
Start your construction project on solid ground by contacting Poole Paving's dedicated grading experts today.